Debbie & Geoff's

Australian Safari


Travel Blog - August 2017

For previous mounths go to the Blog Archive Menu

Click on a photo for larger view .


Monday 1st August – Sunday 5th August 2017

Barn Hill just lends itself to daily beach walks, seeing the sun set and enjoying the magical colours of the rock walls. The bird chorus that greeted us from dawn to dusk was also enjoyable and some of the calls made me laugh as they sounded so funny, not a whistle but a babble and squabble sounded out from the trees. Again lots of fisher people but no one seemed to be catching anything from the beach but they all still tried.
Geoff did manage to put the drone up on our last day and take it for a fly along the beach and into the rock formations. Got some great shots and made some more friends who also had a drone but forgot to bring it with them.

 Barn Hill Camp & Beach      Barn Hill coastline      Old Tramway Bridge
Barn Hill Camp & Beach               Barn Hill coastline                           Barn Hill coastline

Monday 6th – Sunday 13th August 2017

Broome, the world pearling capital, the place of amazing sunsets, moon rises and camel rides. Basing ourselves in a caravan park our first day was to wash the red dust away, well for me anyway. Dooner covers, sheets, clothes, floors and walls all got a damn good scrubbing. Geoff has been busy creating and sewing (a man of many talents) a net for the front of the van to try and stop the stones hitting it from the car tyres. We then went for a drive down towards the port where we were greeted by a Sea Eagle much to Geoff’s delight. Then we watched the sunset and the colours here were so different to what I have seen. Everything is softer, where we have had fiery red and orange skies this sky was soft pinks, purple and violet. It was like a sheer veil had been pulled over the sky and the colours were muted but still beautiful.

 Sea Eagle      Moon Rise      Sea Eagle
Sea Eagle               Moon Rise                           Sea Eagle

Our next trip was down to China Town to wander around the shops so I could get my shopping fix. No I don’t need to buy anything but it is so nice to look especially at all the beautiful pearl shops displaying their goods. I have fallen in love with the gold pearls, never even knew there was such a thing. The pearl gets its colour from the introduced host, it is natural and one in 500 will have the golden hue. I even considered going back to work just to buy one, but with them costing over $1000 for one pearl, I figured I could do without.
The shops in China Town were made for tourists with not only jewellers but art galleries with quirky paintings and scenic photographic works. All beautiful and showing the area, animals and birds in abstract, artistic ways.

 Stuart Desert Pea      Pearl Lugger Broome      Low tide Broome wharf
Stuart Desert Pea               Pearl Lugger Broome                           Low tide Broome wharf

We are lucky enough to be here in time for the Stairway to the Moon. This is a natural phenomenon that occurs 3 times a month as the rising full moon reflects its light across the tidal flats creating an illusion of a stairway to the moon. It’s a very big thing for the tourists and we all flock to the town beach in hope of getting the best view. They have market stalls with local products, yes there were pearls, plus heaps of food vans from Japanese to fish and chips. We took down our picnic blanket and settled ourselves an hour prior to sunset on a soft grassy patch in front of the shore. People watching is always a major past time and watching the changing colours of the sunset helped the time to fly. Just before moon rise at 6.15pm Geoff took his tripod and camera down to the mudflaps to set up for the perfect shots. As the moon shyly made its appearance on the horizon the sky was dark and the first sliver of the moon glowed a fiery orange, rising quite quickly to show its fullness and glimmer down on the mudflats. The stairway appeared, and cameras were flashing around me as I sat on my blankey on the grass. Bats were flying in the sky and when Geoff looked at his photos you could see them in the glow in front of the moon. It certainly was a special moment and I can see why it is so popular.

 Waiting for moon rise      Stairway to the Moon      Bats over the Moon
Waiting for moon rise               Stairway to the Moon                           Bats over the Moon

 Stairway to the Moon      Stairway to the Moon      Stairway to the Moon
Stairway to the Moon

Waking up on day three I was very surprised not have blue sky shining through our skylight but instead it was misty. It was a very heavy mist and even the chairs that were tucked under the awning were dripping with moisture. We decided to make the most of the cool morning and headed down to do a walk along the beach. As we strolled along the sand the mist came in waves, one minute it was clearing and moving away out to sea then we looked behind us and in front of us and them mist was creeping back again. Out to sea you could barely make out boats that were moored and again the mist cleared, but it was not long before the boats were shrouded again. Brown Boobies (keep it clean, they are actually birds) glided past and dived into the sea, Bee Eaters flew into the bush and a Black Kite was sitting on the sand finishing some tasty morsel. We walked for about 2 hours before the heat made the decision for us to return to the van. The mist was still hanging around but off shore now and the sky had returned to its clear blue.

 Mist condensing on everything      Brown Booby      Landing into Broome in the mist
Mist condensing on everything               Brown Booby                           Landing into Broome in the mist

 Gantheaume Point      Gantheaume Point Lighthouse      Entrance Point
Gantheaume Point               Gantheaume Point Lighthouse                           Entrance Point

Another day, another Broome adventure. We took a drive to the Bird Observatory which is on Roebuck Bay. After getting a map we did the walk down to the shoreline where the mangroves were. Thousands of waders journey and stay here every year and to Geoff’s delight there were plenty for him to see. We also had crabs scuttling across the mud flaps and mud skippers. The crabs we noticed were not very large but there were a few aborigines down on the shore line on their quest to catch a few of the larger mud crabs. Again it was the contrasting colours that never ceased to amaze us, the red cliffs, white sand and aqua marine water.

 Waders & Sea birds       Egret flying over crabs      Mud Skipper
Waders & Sea birds               Little Egret flying over crabs                           Mud Skipper

Now what would a visit to Broome be without the sunset drinks down on Cable Beach. We parked the car and didn’t bother driving down on the sand as it was only a short stroll with our backpack holding our wine and glasses to toast the end of the day. The camels came into view and lined up perfectly for us to do our photos. We decided against a camel ride as for a start they smell and how can you take the pictures of them if you are sitting on one being jostled around? But it certainly was worth the visit just to get the lovely pictures to add to our memories.

 Cable Beach        Camels on Cable Beach      Camels on Cable Beach
Cable Beach                             Camels on Cable Beach

 Cable Beach        Camels on Cable Beach      Camels on Cable Beach
Camels on Cable Beach

The reason for our extended Broome stay was to go on the tour to the Horizontal Falls. What an amazing adventure this was, after our early morning 5am pick up then droped off to the airport we boarded a sea plane for a 40 minute flight out to Talbot Bay over King Sound and landing near a pontoon which is where we were to spend the next few hours. The flight was smooth at 9,500 ft and so was our landing on water which is the first one that I have ever done. Next we were herded into a speed boat it had 1,200hp outboard motors. This was our transport to the falls and the engines were needed not just for speed but for the strength to be able to sit us near the falls to enjoy the close up encounter of the rushing water as it cascades through the two openings spilling into the bays. This is totally tidal based (the max tide change is 11.8 meters) and the narrow gap is only passable at different stages of the tide. Talk about an adrenalin rush and yes as Geoff wanted to sit in the front of the boat we got very wet.

 Boarding Sea-plane       Top of Roebuck Bay      Touch-down Talbot Bay
Boarding Sea-plane               Top of Roebuck Bay                           Touch-down Talbot Bay

 Debbie taking photos for people       The Boat      The wide gap
Debbie taking photos for people               The Boat, 4 x 300hp                           The wide gap

After our first encounter we were taken back to the pontoon and served a bacon and egg breakfast before being entertained by the shark feeding experience. These sharks were rather large about 2.5 meters and certainly knew when the free feed was about to take place. You also had the option of a swim in a shark free cage to watch the spectacle.

 Shark feeding       Shark feeding      Shark feeding
Shark feeding

Back on our fast boat for a cruise around Talbot Bay and up Cyclone Creek checking out the cliffs that surrounded the bay. Finishing off with a quick sprint through the narrow gap which made me feel we were in a huge washing machine on spin cycle. The power of the water rush and seeing it pouring through at such close quarters was worth the whole trip.

 The wide gap about 18 meters       The narrow gap about 8 meters      The narrow gap about 8 meters
The wide gap about 18 meters                              The narrow gap about 8 meters                     .

 Cyclone creek, low tide       Cyclone creek      The setup
Cyclone creek, low tide               Cyclone creek                           The setup

Back on the seaplane and Geoff scored the co-pilots seat. I sat just behind the captain and got a brilliant view of the Buccaneer Archipelago as we made our way to One Arm Point. Here we were met by our transport back to Broome which is a large 4WD bus.

 Buccaneer Archipelago       Buccaneer Archipelago      One Arm Point
Buccaneer Archipelago               Buccaneer Archipelago                           One Arm Point

First stop was a quick visit to a community information tour of an aquaculture hatchery. There were large tanks some had coral, others fish, another had one turtle and some had very large clams. It seemed to be in a bit of disarray and was not an experience I would rave about or think of redoing. Then it was a trip to Kooliaman, Cape Leveque where we were served a Barramundi and salad lunch listening to musicians playing at the Kooljaman resort . After the meal we had half an hour to explore the shore line as it is famous for the red cliffs meeting the pristine white sandy beaches and crystal clear waters of the Indian Oceans, the cliffs themselves were very soft, you could rub your finger on them and the pigmentation would come off staining your fingers. Lucky it brushed off but I can’t say I have ever seen this happen elsewhere. Some had white patches which also seemed chalky and again rub onto your fingers.

Off to the pearl shell church at Beagle Bay. This church is known for its pearl shell alter and decorations, quite beautiful in this tiny community where we had a cool drink and afternoon tea before boarding the bus for 88km of rough corrugated driving back to Broome.

 Kooljaman, Cape Leveque       Cape Leveque      Cape Leveque
Kooljaman, Cape Leveque               Cape Leveque                           Cape Leveque

 Missionary Church       Inside church      pearl shell alter
Missionary Church               Inside the church                           Pearl shell alter


Monday 14th August 2017

Time to leave Broome behind and we had one night at Derby. We stopped on the way to look at the Prison Boab Tree which was used to lock up prisoners for the night on their march to town. This tree is believed to be over 1500 years old. After settling in at the park we took a drive down to the wharf. Derby is known for having the highest tidal variation in Australia (up to 11.8 meters) and ships tie up to the wharf get left stranded in the mud till the tide changes in their favour.

 Prison Boab Tree                     Derby sunset
Prison Boab Tree                             Derby sunset

The weather is heating up and temperatures are ranging up to 35 degrees Celsius. Lucky the heat is still dry and we have a few months to get ourselves down south before the wet season starts, but the heat, ugh, and this is winter!
So now we are ready to tackle the Gibb River Road (GRR). I have heard so many horror stories about this road and damage to vans and cars that I am not really at all keen, but I trust my driver and his expertise to make sure we arrive in one piece. By this stage we are still not sure if we will do the whole GRR or go half way, turn back and go by tar to the Kununurra and take a quick trip in the other side of the Gibb to El Questro and Home Valley. Stay tuned for the suspense is killing me.

 Gibb River Road
Gibb River Road

Tuesday 15th August 2017

Day one we travel to Windjana National Park deciding on a two night stay. The road did not let us down with lots of dust and corrugations to rattle our bones. We took our time and stopped a few times to check that all was in order with the car and the van. After setting up the camp site we ventured down to the gorge and took the walk along the river. It was cooler down in the gorge and we took the sandy path to appreciate the crocodiles that were sunning themselves on the bank or slowly floating past.

 2 meter Freshwater Crocodile       Crocodile      Crocodile
2 meter Freshwater Crocodile               Never smile at a Crocodile                           Crocodile

The next day we headed 25km to Tunnel Creek This amazing tunnel is 750 metres long through the limestone ridge. A good strong torch is required and your shoes are going to get wet. The creek flows through this tunnel and in some of the permanent water holes I had water above my knees. At one part there has been a cave-in and light comes streaming into one area, but just beyond that if you shine your torch up to the ceiling you can observe the bats resting in the cool dark, occasionally squabbling with one another but mostly they are quiet. We spotted small crocodiles (up to about 1.5 meters) with our torches as their eyes shine red in the light, an amazing limestone white waterfall though tiny seemed to be a favourite with about 5 crocs of varying sizes and the ceiling was adorned with stalactites . The tunnel ends and opens out to a shady river bank that has a display of Indigenous rock art for one to admire. Oh and yes you go out the way you came in, through the dark, past the waterfall where you wade in the water with the crocs, past the bats and back out to the opening. Cool! and it was so much cooler down there.

 Tunnel Creek       Tunnel Creek      Tunnel Creek
Tunnel Creek entry               Tunnel Creek cave in                           Tunnel Creek cave in

 1.5 meter Freshwater Crocodile       'Flowstone' waterfall       End of the Tunnel
1.5 meter Crocodile inside Tunnel Creek               Flowstone' waterfall                           End of the Tunnel

 Debbie taking photo for others       Aboriginal rock art       Stalactites
Debbie taking photo for others                       Aboriginal rock art                                   Stalactites

That afternoon we again took a stroll down to the gorge and spotted a snake in a bush, more crocs, a colony of bats and two Bowerbirds and their bowers. What an amazing day we have had.

 Sunset Windjana Gorge      Windjana Gorge Camp       Stalactites
Sunset Windjana Gorge                       Windjana Gorge                                   Windjana Gorge Camp

Thursday 17th August 2017

Our two nights in the park were up and we headed again down the dust and corrugations. A truck passing the other way had a caravan and Toyota on the back, oh oh, did not look good. We headed to our next camp which is owned by an Aboriginal community and was built as part of funding for the community. Imintji means A place to sit down and is the name of the camping grounds. Just newly opened in May 2017, it has flushing loos, H&C showers and a great grass area with a covered camp kitchen.

 Imintji camp      Imintji camp kitchen       Imintji camp entrance
Imintji camp                       Imintji camp kitchen                                   Imintji camp entrance

Our first adventure is to head to Bell Gorge where we undertook a class 5 walk down to the falls for a lovely cool swim in the pool below. Though I was slow and took my time I made it down and back without any mishaps. The path itself had water crossings and the last part was the hardest climbing over boulders and down to the gorge and pool. But once there the water was cool and after our swim we ate apples and muslie bars and Geoff washed his shirt and shorts to try and get rid of some of the red dust that has decided to make his khaki gear a reddish brown colour.

 Track to Bell Gorge      Bell Gorge       Bell Gorge
Track to Bell Gorge                       Bell Gorge                                   Bell Gorge

 Track to Bell Gorge pool      Bell Gorge falls & pool       Debbie still smiling after Class 5 track
Track to Bell Gorge pool               Bell Gorge falls & pool          Debbie still smiling after Class 5 track

Our next day we went down to the local billabong for a swim. Whoosey Geoff only went into waist deep saying it was too cold and that had cooled him down enough. Just for a change it was me who took the plunge first and yes the water was cool but who could resist a billabong with fish swimming and waterlilies blooming and temperatures over 30 degrees.

 Billabong      Waterlilies & Dragon flowers       Bell Gorge
Billabong                               Waterlilies & Dragon flowers                           Billabong

Each evening in camp we ventured to the camp kitchen area to socialise with the other campers. We met some lovely people from Sydney who also rented out their homes and were travelling with their children for at least 12 months. Another lady travelled with her 9 year old daughter, their dog and their cat. When they went to a national parks they left the animals tied up so anyone around could keep an eye on them. Even though the cat was locked up some of the kids let it out and it was a mad chase to grab it and get it back into the cage. We would all watch the sun set together and marvel as cars and trucks pass by and send plumes of dust that adds to the colours of the evenings. The man in charge of the camp is from Texas and every time I talk to him and tell him stories of our travels he replies by calling me 'Ma'am', just like out of the movies with his soft drawl and shirt, jeans and cowboy boots. His helper from the community also stops and has a chat to us but he is shy and reveals that the people in the community don’t like to talk to tourists as they are also shy. He sits quietly and engraves a boab seed with a design of a bird. If we go back we might get to see the finished product.

 Imintji camp kitchen      Imintji sunset       Gibb River Road west of Imintji
Imintji camp kitchen                               Imintji sunset                           Gibb River Road west of Imintji

Our last day was spent doing a bit of truck maintenance. All the vibrations shook lose a few nuts and bolts. The fridge slide had to be repaired as it was stuck, Geoff’s camera case slide needed some attention and it was just good to have some time to make sure all was secure for the next load of corrugations and dust.

Monday 21st - 24th August 2017

Oh the dust, how I am despising it. Our next camp is Mornington Wilderness Camp and we have 110 km to travel with dust, dust and more red dust. When we set up camp I spend time sweeping, washing floors (again) and emptying out draws to wipe the red dust that seems to have caked everything inside. Unlike our last camp this has lots of trees and we get a good spot just near Annies Creek in some shade. With our solar panels on top we have to take into consideration charging, as there is no power at any of the stops that we are planning. We also have 4 nights here as there seems to be lots to do.

 Dusty Plane      Dusty road       Dusty road
Debbie just loves a good dusty road

 Gibb Road big truck
The Gibb River Road was built for these guys

 Mornington first checkin 88km from camp      Gate to Mornington       Mornington Wilderness Camp
Mornington check-in 88km from camp       Gate to Mornington           Mornington Wilderness Camp

Our first full day we drive down to Bluebush Waterhole. This has lots of birds for us to look and listen too. Also lots of trees on the banks of the Fitzroy River that flows through it. They say you can swim here but the water is not as clear as I would like to be able to spot any fresh water crocs that might be nearby. Yes there is a warning sign about the crocs.
From here we drove to Sir John Gorge where we go for a swim to cool down. The water was warm and I could have stayed in the water for ages. We were the only people out this morning so no bathers needed. It wasn’t till after our swim and we were getting dressed that some other people arrived to take advantage of this beautiful spot.

 Sir John Gorge      White-quilled Rock-Pigeon       Sir John Gorge
Sir John Gorge       White-quilled Rock-Pigeon watching us skinny-dip           Sir John Gorge

After our swim it was time to start heading back via the wetlands for a bit of bird spotting for the husband. They have a bird hide on the wetlands and we spotted Ducks, White Necked Herons, Straw Necked Ibis and other birds drinking, eating and wading in the shallows. Willi Willis danced across the land picking up leaves and circling them around before crossing the wetlands and we watched and followed their path as the birds got out of their way.

 White-necked Heron      White-necked Heron fishing       Brown Goshawk
White-necked Heron                   White-necked Heron fishing                 Brown Goshawk

We attended a slide and information evening about the Australian Wildlife Conservancy (AWC) who own and run Mornington Wilderness Camp. AWC manages over 1.2 million hectares of land for wildlife conservation in the Kimberly with Mornington making up 320,000 hectares.
The slide evening shows the conservation work they are doing overseeing the EcoFire project, an extensive program of prescribed burning across 4 million hectares of the Kimberley, which reduces the negative impacts of late dry season hot wildfires. They also manage the largest area of feral herbivore free land in Australia. Combined fire and free herbivore control has also led to the dramatic recovery of small mammal and bird population.

Another gorge awaits us and it is drive of 24km in to Dimond Gorge where another swimming hole to help us keep the heat away. We were silly and did not think of taking advantage of hiring a canoe for the day thinking we could walk through the gorge. Unfortunately when we arrived we realised our error but had a nice dip in a pool on the Fitzroy River just the same and a shorter stroll on the floor of the gorge. The trip there was dominated by the impressive Fitzroy Bluff with its towering sandstone walls.

 Dimond Gorge      On the way to Dimond Gorge      Many creek crossings
Dimond Gorge                   On the way to Dimond Gorge                 Many creek crossings

 Big Boab tree      Australian Bustard      Mt House, road to Morinington
Big Boab tree                   Australian Bustard                 Mt House, road to Morinington

Just behind our camp site is a walk along Annie Creek where we both would go and sit near a small pool hoping to see the Gouldian Finch which is native to this area. No luck unfortunately but we did spot the Purple-crowned Fairy wren among other birds and also the local crocodile that inhabits that part of the creek. Geoff would also go out early morning and drive down to a creek crossing to sit and wait hoping to still spot the Gouldian Finch, alas, not one was to be found, they are one of the most spectacularly coloured birds so it would have been a bonus to spot one.

 Brolga on the road      Rainbow-Bee-eater      Purple-crowned Farywren
Brolga on the road                   Rainbow-Bee-eater                 Purple-crowned Farywren

 Buff-sided Robin      Paperbark Flycather      Dingo
Buff-sided Robin                   Paperbark Flycather                 Wild Dingo

After hearing quite few horror stories of busted suspension and tyres being shredded further up the GRR we have made the decision to turn around and come back the way we travelled through Imintiji for a night and again back to Windjana Gorge to get back to the tar and head towards Fitzroy Crossing . It was just not worth the risk of doing some serious damage to our home on wheels or our car.

Sunday 27th – Friday 31st August 2017

Fitzroy Crossing is on the banks of the Fitzroy River and we are staying in one of the biggest parks I have ever seen. This is classed as a resort with all levels of accommodation, tennis court, swimming pool and restaurant and bar. First jobs as soon as we arrived and hooked up to power was call family and friends to let them know we were still alive and ok. After two weeks off the grid we didn’t need people to worry about us. The next job was start cleaning to try and get rid of the red dust that has enveloped our lives. Cupboards, floors, draws and every nook and cranny things were vacuumed, scrubbed and wet wiped back to my satisfaction. Ah it feels so nice, and whilst I worked inside Geoff worked outside on the car and the van.
That evening we decided to treat ourselves and went up to the restaurant for the Sunday Roast. Boy did we enjoy that. Roasted vegies were aplenty and pork with lots of crackling or roast beef or both. Desert was apple crumble with custard but I opted for some fresh fruit as it had been a while since our apple a day supply was finished and I couldn’t resist the watermelon and rockmelon, also I was very full after my baked dinner I don’t think I could fit anything else in.

Now we have not only phone but internet service so the first morning after checking and clearing emails, banking and of course Facebook and I got 3 loads of washing done we drove to the tourist information centre to enquire about the area. Upon his recommendation we drove down to the Old River Causeway which was closed after the last wet season dragged up a lot of sand which you would have to drive across before getting to the concrete causeway. We took a walk down over the mountain of sand to stroll across the causeway and marvelled at how clear the water in the river was. Then a drive through what was the old town before heading to the Crossing Inn pub which was built in 1897. The bar itself was in a cage, though the front hatch was open and the whole of the pub had a cage around it with warning signs stating, you let someone in you will be banned for two weeks, if you leave and come back you will be breathalysed, No spitting or humbugging allowed (I later found out that was trying to bludge a cigarette, or making unreasonable or excessive demands from family) We were joined by two girls who have a camper next to us in the van park and sat together to have a cooling beer before we headed back to the van for the afternoon.

 Brolga on the road      Old Fitzroy Crossing      Fitzroy River end of dry season
Crossing Inn                   Old Fitzroy Crossing                 Fitzroy River end of dry season

Next adventure is our trip to Geikie Gorge. We did the 4km return walk in the morning which took us into the limestone gorge and along the river bank. Only one crocodile was spotted at that stage and we enjoyed looking at the formation of the limestone cliffs towering above and around us. There was plenty of water in the Fitzroy River and we could see from the stain on the cliff walls how high the river gets when it is fully raging. As the day heated up we headed back towards the car to refill our water bottles and have a bite to eat before doing a small walk in the other direction along the river bank. This time we spotted 5 fresh water crocs sunning themselves on the banks of the river. Lots of signs of kangaroos but they were smart and were probably hiding somewhere in the shade. We also had March Flies which are not my favourite as they really bite and even though they are slow and you can wack them they still manage to get in a nip or three, we enjoyed watching the birds swooping down to catch the nasty little creatures.

 Fitzroy River      Limestone cliffs on baks of Fitzroy      Fitzroy River
Fitzroy River                   Limestone cliffs on baks of Fitzroy                 Fitzroy River

Last few days of August and the last few days of winter, with temps in the mid 30’s I am still wondering how people cope in the summer months here. Time to move again and we decided to head further up the Great Northern Highway (GNH), originally planning to stay at Halls Creek, but after stopping for fuel we decided to press on. This seems to be another town where the local community have a problem and all shops were caged and no shop fronts were exposed. We were going to take a detour to Wolf Creek and check out the crater but we would not be able to take the van and it was 200km round trip on rough dirt roads so we decided against it and continued on. 10 points to Western Australia for the great night spots along the highway. They had toilets and dump points plus plenty of area that was gravelled with tables and chairs and fire pits. We scored a great spot at Spring Creek and shared it with quite a lot of vans. We parked down by the river and joined another two couples for a chat in the afternoon , sitting under the trees near the creek that one of the guys had already been for a swim in.

 Spring Creek      Spring Creek camp      Spring Creek camp
Spring Creek                   Spring Creek free camp                 Spring free Creek camp

Heading along the GNH we arrived at our next stay Parry Creek Farm . This is where we will base ourselves for the next few days. Upon checking in we were advised by John that the Gouldian Finch has been sighted and told us of a few areas to try. After setting up and me trying to get the dust out of the van yet again we had lunch and went for a drive and found the lovely little creek where we sat ourselves down and waited, unfortunately the light disappeared from the area and we decided to go for a drive and check out the wetlands. What a beautiful spot this was. A nice shady bird hide sat right on the wetland area. The grass was green and there was an abundance of water birds, fish and beautiful waterlilies. As there had been quite a few burn offs and smoke still hung in the air the sunset was spectacular. The colours amazing and carried onto the water which then had a pinky orange hue from the reflection. Certainly worth the drive over the corrugations.

 Parry Creek sunset      Brolga dancing      Parry Creek sunset
Parry Creek sunset                   Brolga dancing                 Parry Creek sunset

 Grebe at sunset      Parry Creek wetlands      Kangaroo & joey
Grebe at sunset                   Parry Creek wetlands                 Kangaroo & joey